It’s finally snowy! I feel like a kid right now, because we didn’t have a proper winter here in Warsaw for so long. And I can remember my last “normal” thoughts from 2020 was about the snow. Then the pandemic had started and everything changed. But here we are – it’s almost a year with the virus here in Poland (and more than a year in the world), we’ve got many hopes for 2021 so let’s close the 2020 properly and just move on.
I’m the kind of person who likes to write down all things and take a look at how it actually went in the past few months. It’s because I’m very emotional and I’m able to feel other people’s emotions, which means – when someone is depressed I can feel the same, even if I have no reason to feel that way. And many people from around me were really angry about 2020 lately. That’s why I had to check out if I should be angry as well, or maybe just the opposite.
Surprisingly the amount of finished projects was similar to my most productive year – 2019.
That’s the main core of my work for Enclave Games, but in 2020 I did only the new winter level for Flood Escape (our game from 2017). I was working on another super cute game but I had to postpone it for later.
Fortunately I had a chance to design a board game for my other big project – MAMAdesigner blog. It’s called ZMYSŁAKI and it helps kids learn about their senses. I think I need to prepare the English version of this game sometime.
And also for MAMAdesigner I made this small card game called Mathematic Black Peter. It’s a game with the rules of popular Black Peter but with the cute number monsters on cards.
What we’ve got here: Gamedev.js offer .pdf and graphics for two events – one usual and one online (because of the pandemic). I also did a new branding for Gamedev.js Jam, which I hope will stay with us for longer.
Fantastic year for js13kgames had started with a photo session of 2019′ t-shirt, which arrived at the beginning of 2020. Then I had to deal with the usual stuff like a cosmic amount of banners, landing pages, backgrounds, offers, photos and of course the t-shirt. I’d delivered a lo-fi mockup of the new website layout and was working on the new Design System. I also did some video editing, which I hadn’t done since studies, and was also trying to run the Instagram account.
Designs for Enclave Games
Beside the games I took some pictures for social media, banners for blog posts and a whole new website layout. Then I’ve helped with the projects we had claimed for GRANT FOR THE WEB program and it’s still on.
I’d made 35 smaller or bigger projects in 2020 for MAMAdesigner blog plus those 2 board games I’ve mentioned above. I’ve written two sponsored articles, ran a short contest and started my first newsletter. That was pretty amazing year for MAMAdesigner and I’m extremely happy that I did everything I was planning for 2020 – it wasn’t easy, but I did it!
That’s a huge surprise for me – I’d thought that Tutsy blog died in agony in 2020 but I had written 19 (!) posts in the past year. Most of them in the first half of 2020, so maybe that’s the reason why I thought it’s over. But I really did some cool stuff for Tutsy in 2020. For example I’ve published the postmortem of my first game programmed by myself – Geometry Monster, I’ve shared this cool paper bag mockup or this free game UI buttons, published a tutorial about cutting images in Photoshop and many more. Amazing. I really didn’t appreciate this.
I’ve started to sketch flora, made a couple of photo manipulations, one cute blue whale illustration and lots of calligraphy phrases.
I’m helping my husband with the visual side of his TataDeveloper blog. I’m taking all the pics and you should know they are like real professional photo sessions and my husband is paying our lead model (our daughter) with Oreos 😉
Two logos, one website design, business card, flag design and a flyer.
Last but not least – the home school! I’d stopped counting in May, but till then we did over 30 worksheets with my daughter, more than 40 artworks and over 20 science experiments, and I took over one thousand pictures documenting the whole process.
Also in 2020:
- I had read over 50 books
- I had watched 20 movies and 3 series
- I found out I have to have the laparoscopic surgery
- I had the cold only once in the whole year and it was right before the pandemic starts (we were super healthy in the 2020)
- I bought my first professional calligraphy kit
- I had amazing lonely weekend just for myself in Sound Garden Hotel
- I had learned about GTD methodology and improve my planning system thanks to that
- I had started fighting trainings
- I bought first desk for my little daughter (they grow up so fast ;P)
- I won a coloring book, some stickers and DVD of Trolls movie for my daughter
- I became a god-mother to my little nephew
- I discovered amazing illustrator Rob Biddulph, who made our lockdown so much better
- Me and my daughter had broke the Guinness Record with Rob Biddulph’s online art lesson
- I fell in love with Australia and I’m planning to visit it in the future
- I took the Gallup Test
- We had amazing two weeks holiday in the city (it was the moment with minimal restrictions and we really enjoyed that time)
- We became Lego maniacs thanks to our daughter
- I had a private cooking chef’s experience thanks to Chef Antonio
- We had a magical Christmas
- I didn’t lose any weight 😉
Wow. That’s a lot. And as you can see – most of it was fun. I did write this summary so I could see the whole picture and this picture is really nice. I’m thankful we are in health, we have our jobs and the projects are moving forward. We are really lucky.